Commodity Risk AnalystReq ID 94610BR Job category Finance Countries (State/Region) Illinois Location United States - Illinois - Chicago Apply now
The Commodity Risk Analyst is a key leadership and control position within the Commodity Risk function and Integrated Supply and Trading Finance. The position is accountable to the Commodity Risk Manager for a specific commodity’s aspects of control. The role includes being the primary interface for trading and supply benches, while managing the daily activities that meet the team’s core responsibility of delivering independent daily exposure and P&L, and providing analytics to support business insight, including working capital and cash.
- Responsible for providing independent, timely, globally aligned and accurate valuations of trading book position, exposure, performance data and analysis to facilitate trading execution, control of trading, management reporting, market risk management, credit risk management and compliance.
- Validating integrity of management information provided to Financial Accounts for the Group Accounts and financial disclosures.
- Independent understanding to identify/escalate and mitigate financial, operational & reputation risk related to trading book positions and exposures.
- Single point of contact on any working capital related issues. Forecasting, allocation and optimization of working capital for ensuring book remains within limits.
- Provide support for entering/exiting new instruments/markets & growth/contraction of existing business via effective due diligence.
- Implement any Operating Standards and Control Processes in relevant region.
- Support the relationship with relevant regional Trading Managers and Commercial leadership.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Drive commercial focus
- Able to analyse exposures
- Competent at identifying basic risk mitigation strategies
- Knowledgeable about external environment in which the business operates and able to assess and challenge its impact on the business risk matrix
- Understands how industry trends affect a counterparty's business risk in the near term (less than a year) and mid-term (1 to 5 years)
- Build and execute strategy
- Champions change through visible and active commitment to drive the change process, while able to articulate the vision for change and engages with the organization and stakeholders to build alignment
- Is able to provide guidance to help implement compliance and assurance policies successfully within the business and/or Functional area
- Is able to expertly analyse Operational risk exposure within a specific business and is competent at advising risk mitigation programs. Demonstrates business acumen
- Understands, recognizes and interprets the financial impacts of individual trades and complex deal structures
- Able to recognize the exposure implications of trades, anticipate market price movements from various information sources and readily challenge traders on the underlying assumptions of deals, while offering alternative options
- Understand what is expected to attest to the accuracy of financial statements
- Understand the link between the actions of the business and the accounts and able to quickly identify the key performance issues given a full set of accounts
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- IT (systems) skills (SAP, Business Objects, Excel & Access)
- Good knowledge and understanding of energy trading markets and instruments
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP's face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST's role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST Oil Americas handles the supply and trading activities for BP's Oil and Chemical businesses in the Americas. The business unit and majority of our 800+ staff are headquartered in downtown Chicago, IL, with a material presence in offices in La Palma, CA; Houston, TX; Calgary, Canada. Our teams work closely with the BP business units in Refining and Marketing and Exploration and Production.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
Integrated Supply & Trading
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
View this location
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login
- Sr. Supply Analyst Chicago, Illinois 21/08/2018