OriginatorReq ID 94477BR Job category Trading & Supply Location United States - Illinois - Chicago, United States - Texas - Houston Apply now
The IST Oil America’s Marketing & Origination team leverages origination, marketing and commercial development capabilities in support of IST Global Oil’s growth ambitions. The charter of this team is to provide expert resources in pursuit of a range of more sophisticated, structured and longer-term transactions required to deliver the global trading book strategies. These transactions will be originated from and marketed to third parties and involve a combination of physical, derivative price risk management, and financial elements. IST Marketing and Origination provides relationship and business development support for the Global Commodity books. Marketing and Origination also seek to create growth options and step out opportunities that may cross commodities. Marketing activity includes establishing and developing third party accounts for supply, offtake and risk management. Origination includes establishing structural relationships that typically offer customers and partners a combination of service, finance, risk mitigation and physical capability for flexible long-term asset access.
The role will report into the Head of Physical Origination, and the following activities are specifically within the remit of this Originator role:
- Originating growth opportunities across commodities in specific geographies, as agreed with the team leader, with specific focus on originating new trading opportunities for the benches. This could range from expanding existing footprints and business arrangements, spot tenders with new clients to longer term, multi-year, infra-structure based opportunities in new geographies.
- Developing and executing complex transactions while creating optimization, cross commodity and supply opportunities
- Providing input into other M&O team member deal structures and terms to maximize BP benefit.
- Using best judgement to escalate issues and/or engaging with Legal and Compliance or control functions,
- Maintaining an accurate record of counterparty relationships and opportunities in BP’s CRM system,
- Drafting and reviewing contract language to support negotiated commercial terms
- Supporting the Origination Team with fundamentals analysis, preparation of counterparty visit materials and attendance at negotiations, as appropriate.
- Building credible and long-lasting relationships with internal and external stakeholders
The post holder is expected to work with minimal supervision and to network independently with key stakeholders and counterparties. The position offers an excellent opportunity to progress in a key commercial role, while also expanding leadership and strategic thinking skills.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Essential experience and job requirements
- Proven track record of negotiating and closing significant transactions with embedded structured products and/or other complex structures
- Previous commercial leadership experience
- Self – starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills and analytic ability
- A track record of commercial acumen and a solid understanding of conducting business within the energy industry – ideally from Upstream, Downstream and Midstream perspectives
- Demonstrated understanding of trading sources of value
- Ability to make sound commercial judgements, quick decisions and conduct successful transactions and negotiations
- Ability to recognize and act on emerging trends and opportunities, including examples of identifying new commercial structures
- Strong quantitative and qualitative skills
- Strong foundation in compliance and ethics issues, coupled with a “speak up” attitude
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships and to influence individuals at all levels within the organization
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Completion of the OMDC
- Demonstrated track record of adding value across the IST/Downstream interface
- MBA or equivalent preferred
- Track record of successfully working with supporting Functions preferred
- Spanish and / or Portuguese fluency preferred
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP's face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST's role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST Oil Americas handles the supply and trading activities for BP's Oil and Chemical businesses in the Americas. The business unit and majority of our 800+ staff are headquartered in downtown Chicago, IL, with a material presence in offices in La Palma, CA; Houston, TX; Calgary, Canada. Our teams work closely with the BP business units in Refining and Marketing and Exploration and Production.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
Integrated Supply & Trading
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login