Commodity Risk Analyst – Valuations & Business Management InformationReq ID 94472BR Job category Finance Countries (State/Region) Texas Location United States - Texas - Houston Apply now
The Commodity Risk Analyst role will report to the Commodity Risk Valuations and BMI Lead. The Valuations and BMI team is an integral part of the Commodity Risk team and overall Finance organization. The position will assist in the delivery of quality management information (MI) to the business within a robust reporting framework, whilst supporting a One Finance approach.
The primary function of the Valuation & BMI analyst is to support the valuation of trading assets and liabilities in accordance with the Independent Price Verification policy. He/she will also be responsible for leading and preparing working capital forecasts for meetings with the broader finance leadership team. In addition, the Valuations & BMI analyst is responsible for managing several controls within the Operating Standards for NAGP trading environment, including, but not limited to DOA monitoring, Out-of-Office deal-entry monitoring and P&L publishing.
The candidate must have excellent communication skills coupled with very strong analytical and IT skills and possess an ability to co-ordinate efforts among many functional teams such as Commercial, Credit, Settlements, Accounts and other Regional teams. The candidate must also be innovative and deliver efficiencies, simplification and/or standardization in processes using new tools and technologies. The post requires a good understanding of trading operations, trading strategies and the ability to apply financial and accounting skills in a trading environment.
The successful applicant will have a strong bias for performance and the ability to implement and support change, ensuring a consistently high standard of management information and control.
• Ensure curve validation review is performed in accordance with the Independent Price Verification policy
• Create, set-up, and maintain curves and settlement mappings for all NAGP commodities including Gas, Power, and NGLs.
• Manage the working capital forecasting process and prepare deliverables for senior finance leaders
• Responsible for testing and coordinating IT&S implementation of projects for Commodity Risk as needed
• Responsible for managing team’s process changes and manage transition plans to new processes as they get implemented.
• Run the End of Day processes while working with several different analysts from regional offices and confirming that all the trader marks necessary are in the system.
• Coordinate validation and metrics reporting across commodities to ensure consistent delivery
• Monitor Delegation of Authorities and adherence to trading limits
• Partner with other areas of Commodity Risk and other functions to deliver time sensitive P&L and MI information
• Ensure that data flows are reliable and consistent and seek out data sources that provide reliable and consistent trading data
• Actively participate in all team projects and team activities as they come up throughout the year
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Engineering, or other Quantitative field.
Essential experience and job requirements
• Business experience in financial accounting and/or control within a trading environment
• Knowledge of mid-office control processes for Gas, Power, and NGL commodities.
• Financial Accounting skills - IT (systems) skills (Business Objects, Excel macros & Access)
• Strong Analytical skills (the ability to grasp and communicate complex trading concepts into their economic effects)
• Attention to detail (ability to work with detailed transactions and properly control, report and communicate trading activity)
• Ability to perform in a very deadline orientated environment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Assertive, self-starter with a bias for action coupled with high integrity, confidence, qualifications and credibility
• Ability to act quickly and decisively in a complex and changing environment, prioritize and cope with ambiguity and uncertainty
• Team player and eager to learn and teach in partnership with other team members within the commodity team and across other trading benches.
• Looks for innovative ways to do things better, faster, and more efficiently
• Flexibility to work overtime as necessary
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• MBA or other financial certification including CFA, FRM, CPA.
• Understanding Trading Industry & External Markets – Understands & regularly uses market terminology. Demonstrates knowledge of basic transactions within the industry. Able to interpret & explain the influencing market factors & their related relationship to the fundamentals & financial results.
• Performance Reporting – Develops business specific KPIs and performance metrics that accurately reflect the performance of the business. Recognizes the need for and defines different reporting solutions to meet the varying management information needs of stakeholders. Presents data in a way that allows the business to fully understand the choices available.
• Project management experience, with demonstrated capability to lead and deliver project initiatives across regional or global teams.
• Ability to independently devise innovative solutions to address complex business problems
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP's face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST's role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST Finance operates in support of IST's strategic objectives, helping it to achieve its aim of being the world's pre-eminent energy trader, in a controlled and compliant way. IST Finance is an integral function within BP's global oil and gas trading and supply activities. It is accountable for short term planning and for all financial and middle office control and reporting activities. It also ensures consistency and monitors compliance in processes and Operating Standards. IST Finance operates around 3 Global processes: Accounting & Reporting, Trade Completion and Product Control and operates seamlessly with the Risk function to support the business.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
Integrated Supply & Trading
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
View this location
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login