Supply & Trading Data StrategistUnited States - Texas - Houston
Supply & Trading is BP’s commercial face to the global energy and commodity markets. We market the company's upstream production of hydrocarbons, secure feedstocks for our refinery system and provide services to external customers, including fuel supply and hedging solutions. Alongside crude oil, refined products and natural gas we also trade power, emissions, biofuels, metals and financial derivatives. We build enduring commercial partnerships that deliver a sustainable source of financial value to the company.
Supply & Trading fosters a diverse and versatile workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
The Supply & Trading Data Strategist team is a global team currently located on four of BP’s trading floors worldwide in London, Houston, New York and Singapore. The team provides analytic support from a data science perspective to the trading and commercial teams within Supply & Trading. Application of advanced machine learning and statistical analysis to trading problems is the team’s main focus. The team works closely with traders, trading desk market analysts and the IT teams to contribute to the business.
An opportunity to join the data strategist team in a data analyst capacity in Houston is now available. The local focus will be to provide support to our North America Gas commercial teams in building the tools and providing analysis related to the creative trading ideas from the desk. The role will utilize the technology platform, coupled with a proprietary market intelligence database, to deliver state-of-the-art decision analytics and trading tools to the commercial teams.
At the global level you will be expected to make contributions to the development of the data strategists team capability.
You will report into the global head of Supply & Trading Data Strategists based in London.
You will join a global team of data strategists and make immediate impact.
Areas of work will include:
- Develop, demonstrate and deploy analytical tools, based on data analysis of mainly unstructured data sets, to commercial teams
- Delivery of novel, high impact solutions to requests from the trading teams that directly impact commercial decision-making and revenue generation
- Lead the relationships with our commercial teams and understand the commercial strategies of their respective businesses
- Significant contribution in building a library of models and tools, with the potential for pan-Supply & Trading application
- Work closely with key information technology and services teams across Supply & Trading to ensure robust and scalable solutions for use by commercial teams
PhD or MSc degree in (e.g. physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or computer science).
Undergraduate in a quantitative discipline from a top-class institution.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Industry experience in large-scale data analysis and predictive modeling, preferably in a front office role in an investment bank, hedge fund or energy major or in the relevant technology firms
- Advanced machine learning, probability and statistics. Knowledge of the latest industry modeling techniques applied across image, text and voice related problems
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis and analytic approaches in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Exceptional programming skills, with advanced knowledge of scripting languages, for example Python, R. Ability to write production ready, highly reliable and tuned numerical code
Consistent track record of:
- Solving hard problems through the creative application of technology
- Delivering tools and decision analytics that facilitates transactions and creates commercial value for the business
- Dedicated engagement with commercial teams
- Demonstrating creativity in delivering commercial solutions
- Effective social and networking skills are essential to ensure successful engagement of the data strategists with the commercial stakeholders in the trading organization.
- Strong team working skills to promote continued teamwork within the data strategists team as well as between various Supply & Trading teams.
- Ability to design and implement bespoke solutions to problems with rigor and judgment in a busy trading environment to strict time deadlines is critical.
- Ability to educate Supply & Trading stakeholders on new methodologies and benefits to their corresponding businesses.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
The team has a strong practical emphasis with a focus on providing solutions to the commercial teams in short time frames. Coding advanced numerical schemes and design of the user-friendly and commercially applicable solutions (in collaboration with the technology teams) are key activities for the group. You should have a strong blend of data science knowledge, computer science skills and commercial acumen.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
- The following experience, knowledge and skills would be highly desirable:
- Experience in commodity and/or financial markets.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Energy marketing and trading offers customers a unique combination of physical expertise, financial structures, geographic scope and creative solutions.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age.