Group Research – Senior Chemical EngineerUnited Kingdom - North East - Hull
This role is an opportunity to play an influential role in the teams responsible for the delivery of Group Research’s activities. These include projects that are principally applications of chemical engineering (physical properties, interfacial science, separations, fluid flow and reaction engineering), and others where chemical engineering insight is necessary to enable safe and practical realisation of chemistry and bioscience innovation. The Post Holder will design and lead process evaluations to support early option appraisal activities and be expected to oversee the development and maintenance of kinetic, process and other theoretical engineering models. The Post Holder will also be expected to guide the work of less experienced engineers, and manage external technology programmes.
This role will work as part of one of Group Research’s multidisciplinary technology teams based in Hull
- Delivery of safe and compliant operations, contributing to the development of an HSSE culture aligned with the goals of Group Research
- Design and lead experimental and modelling work and communication of results to meet the needs of the defined programmes.
- Lead work with business technology colleagues to identify needs and opportunities in process engineering, and deliver results and insights to meet these needs.
- Take the technical lead in early technology appraisal studies and/or due diligence studies
- Build their individual profile in the internal technical community, and BP Group wide networking activities in chemical engineering.
- Lead and mentor relevant projects at academic institutions, particularly the universities involved in the BP-ICAM programme (Manchester, Imperial College, Cambridge, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). Build their individual profile in the external technical community.
- Lead Group Research relationships with third parties such as contract research organisations, and joint industry programmes.
- A Masters’ degree in Chemical Engineering is essential (relevant PhD desirable) with a strong grasp of underlying fundamentals. A deep understanding of physical properties is essential, and strong capabilities in other areas of chemical engineering science, such as heat and mass transfer processes and reaction engineering, are highly desirable.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with proven record of delivering innovative science and/or technology programmes.
- Prior experience of direct support to operations or of developing and commercializing new process technologies.
- Strong networking skills, and ability to manage delivery across multiple interfaces
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
Travel – up to 25%.
Travel between the various Group Research locations (in the UK, US, and China) and universities (in the UK, Continental Europe and the US) is required.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
- Experience and knowledge of the management of intellectual property.
- Experience of managing third party relationships, including Academic collaborators.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.