Maintenance & Engineering Manager - Kwinana RefineryReq ID 94082BR Job category Engineering Countries (State/Region) Western Australia Location Australia - Western Australia - Kwinana Apply now
BP is one of the world's leading international oil and gas companies, employing more than 80,000 people globally and has operated in Australia since 1919. Today, we’re involved in a whole range of activities, such as exploring natural gas and crude oil resources as well as refining and marketing petroleum products and lubricants. We also have a network of almost 1,400 service stations throughout Australia.
BP’s Kwinana Refinery is one of the most modern in the southern hemisphere. It is Western Australia’s only refinery and with a capacity of 150,000 barrels of crude oil per day, it is Australia’s largest. It began operation in 1955 and since this time it has continued to grow in national and international significance.
We are now recruiting for a Maintenance & Engineering (M&E) Manager to join our refinery team. Reporting to the Refinery Manager, this safety critical role is a key member of the refinery site leadership team and is responsible for leading maintenance, reliability and engineering activities to support achievement of the refinery’s strategic business plan. Specifically, the role will ensure safe, sustainable and efficient execution of all maintenance works across the site while developing a competent M&E workforce, including contractors. The M&E Manager also plays a crucial role in engineering and project activities, and supporting Turnaround (TAR) events.
The position has seven direct reports, and an extended team of approximately 90 BP employees and circa 300 contractors. It is a key member of the Global Refining Maintenance & Engineering Managers network.
• Provide Safety leadership to ensure HSE performance delivers site & BP Group expectations via implementation of best practice safety systems, strong & capable leadership, a continuous improvement (CI) mindset and a comprehensive and effective Management of Change programme within M&E
• Lead M&E performance which ensures maintenance activities result in optimising assets to meet the refinery operational plan, minimising cost and wastage
• Lead, coach and develop M&E team members to ensure they are empowered to make decisions to deliver both the business plan and year-on-year improved performance across the site
• Implement robust engineering processes to ensure BP group expectations are met on all issues related to equipment integrity and reliability
• Site-wide strategic oversight of all planning, pre-engineering, scheduling & resourcing of maintenance activity, ensuring operational performance requirements are met and process safety expectations achieved
• Ensure effective controls on fixed cost budget for maintenance and for capital expenditure across the refinery are in place
• Ensure effective management of third party M&E vendor and contractor partners across the refinery to optimise contractual arrangements and work requirements
• Optimally manage the M&E budget of circa A$50Mpa and a pipeline of capital projects circa A$50Mpa
• Liaise frequently with the global Refining Technology and Engineering (RT&E) team to support successful delivery of Kwinana TAR activities
• Incident Management Team (IMT) Duty Manager on a rotational basis
A Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline at a minimum with additional post-graduate qualifications well regarded.
Essential experience and job requirements
In order to be considered for this safety critical leadership position the ideal applicant will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline; be an expert safety and people leader, able to drive meaningful improvements in safety-related matters on site and to develop your team’s technical and leadership capability; proven broad & deep experience in an oil and gas processing environment and; a track record of leading cultural change which drives superior performance outcomes.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
BP’s Fuels AsPac business operates in three distinctive retail fuels markets in Australia, New Zealand and China.
We’ve been proudly operating in Australia for almost 100 years. Here, we are the only fully integrated fuels business, with a team of 6,000 passionate people delivering quality fuels from the well to the petrol bowser. Along with our terminals, pipelines and 1,400 BP-branded retail fuel sites we are also founding participants in the North West Shelf and Browse joint ventures. We also operate Australia’s largest refinery in Kwinana.
Our 3,000 strong New Zealand team is driven to deliver a customer experience second to none. Today we operate more than 90 BP Connect retail sites and are renowned for our signature Wild Bean Cafes. We also have a national network of BP-branded independent retailers, distributor partners, truckstops, and a terminals and logistics operation.
Through strong partnerships with China’s top two state-owned oil companies, PetroChina and Sinopec, BP operates over 750 dual-branded retail stations in Guangdong and Zhejiang provinces, serving 400,000 customers and selling over 12 million litres of gasoline and diesel every day. And BP now also has a joint venture with Shandong Dongming Petroleum Company Ltd.
BP strives to be a world-class operator, a responsible corporate citizen and a great employer. We care deeply about our people, creating a diverse and inclusive environment where everybody can contribute and grow. The breadth of our business makes it the perfect place to build your career.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login