Platform Engineering SpecialistMalaysia - Central - Kuala Lumpur
Job profile summary:
BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effective and new business models. As a Platform Engineering Specialist, you will work within a team to provide custom-built or customised IT platforms to BP colleagues and external users.
IT platforms generally support hosting of applications which support revenue earning activity for BP, or directly provide business functionality in the same vein. Strong themes running throughout platform engineering include automation of manual activity, focus on operational integrity at scale, optimisation of technical resources, and speed to value.
The Insights and Enablement squad provides common Network insights and network foundational functions. You will support us using tools to aid the diagnostics, capacity, visualisation of the network stack and you will be identifying and isolating complex network incidents to support other network squads. You will operate and enhance the tools such as DDI and NPM. We deliver these services around the world and have teams across regions. You could be called upon to resolve major incidents outside of working times on a rotational basis with other regions.
Team: You will work with users, software engineers and business analysts to understand how to best translate requirements to technical solution designs for platforms. You will develop and test custom built or customised IT platforms. You will contribute to designs and be familiar with Platform technologies, operating and maintaining custom built or customised IT platforms. You will act in accordance with professional engineering practices, including Internet protocols, coding standards and reviews, source control management, build processes and operations. You will also provide input to iterate and improve technical standards for platform engineering based on Agile delivery solutions.
Relationships: You will collaborate with peers across IT&S teams throughout the full software and solution delivery lifecycle. You will also work with the team to maximise value from current applications and emerging technologies showing technical thought leadership in their business area across a wide range of technologies.
Safety and Compliance: Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. You will advocate and help ensure our platforms, designs and processes enhance a culture of operational safety and improve our digital security.
- Ideally a Bachelor's (or higher) degree from a recognized institute of higher learning, ideally focused in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
Essential Experience and Job RequirementsTechnical capability:
- Management of Network management, performance and visualisation tooling platform (4)
- Network diagnostics such as flow analytics, deep packet inspection and network performance data interpretation to tackle complex network issues from data produced through the tooling platform (4)
- Networking technologies such as DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LAN, WAN, SDWAN, Cloud networking and IT underlying layers across a multi-vendor product suite (4)
- Incident and Problem Management (4)
- Change, Enhancement and Release Management (4)
- Programming/Software Development (3)
- Requirements Definition and Management (2)
- System Design (3)
- Technical Specialism (4)
- Method and Tools (4)
- Capacity Management (3)
- Hyperflex/VMWare/KVM virtual appliance technologies (3)
- Network automation (3)
- Testing (3)
- Application Support (3)
- Business Analysis (2)
- Emerging Technology Monitoring (3)
- Quality Management (2)
- System Integration (3)
- Data Analysis (3)
- Porting/Software Configuration (2)
- Release and Deployment (2)
- Platform Engineering
Leadership and EQ:
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You look beyond your own team to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, while understanding cultural differences.
- You continually improve your self-awareness and seek input from others on your impact and efficiency.
- Well organized, you balance proactive and reactive approaches and multiple priorities to complete tasks on time.
- You apply judgment and common sense – you use insight and good judgment to inform actions and respond to situations as they arise.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and demonstrate strong leadership through BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- You are always curious and challenge the norm in the spirit of finding innovative ways of working
- You have good knowledge and understanding of modern development methodologies (Agile using Scrum and/or Kanban)
- Knowledge of DevOps practices and techniques such as Value Stream Mapping, Lean, flow, eliminating waste.
- Experience with modern approaches to source-code management and control through tools like TFS and Git/GitHub.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to relate complex topics in simple and accessible language.
- Proven knowledge of adjacent domains such as platforms, storage, databases, etc. You know your way around a command-line.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
In IT&S we are committed to providing flexible working arrangements. Agile or flexible working encompasses a wide range of working options, which help people to achieve their full potential. It is more than ad-hoc home working or part time working; it’s about role modelling BP’s IT technology to get a job done, in a way that works well for both the business and our employees.
So even if a job is advertised as full time, please reach out to the hiring manager or the recruiter if you would like flexible working arrangements to be considered.