Senior Category Specialist Retail Assets, Equipment LeadReq ID 81137BR Job category Procurement & Supply Chain Management Location China - Central - Shanghai, Singapore - Flexible - Singapore Apply now
The Senior Category Specialist (CS) plays a supporting role in realising Downstream Procurement’s (DP) objective to become a world-class procurement organisation with leading capability in category management that delivers relevant, value-adding category strategies to BP’s Downstream businesses.
The Senior CS provides dedicated specialist category strategy development and implementation support to the Category Manager, and will be accountable for large or complex category or subcategory scope. Working with colleagues in the business interface they are responsible for engaging business stakeholders to understand business priorities and requirements, and ensure category strategies and implementation aligns with those needs.
The primary focus of the Senior CS role is to work with the Category Manager to define category strategies by performing analysis and co-ordinating key inputs e.g. supply market analysis, cost modelling and benchmarking. The Senior CS also supports the Category Manager to implement the category strategies, as agreed by the Category Manager at a site / market level by managing the localisation of the category strategy, sourcing activities and contract management to agreed timelines, and supplier management activities. They are also responsible for supporting the category manager in delivering value to the business by ensuring compliance with agreed category strategies and sourcing expectations, within the assigned category scope.
Ultimately they are responsible for the execution of all of these activities to deliver the objective of providing the business with a supply base that supports safe, reliable and compliant operations, and that also delivers the innovation and business benefits agreed in the category strategy.
Stakeholder Management Support
• In support of the Category Manager, manage the interface between category strategy development and implementation by the delivery organisation, working in partnership with Category Excellence, GBS ( global business service), Business Interface and Business teams. Lead engagement interactions with these teams across assigned category or subcategory scope.
• Lead the development of communication content to ensure that category specific messages (such as status, plans, compliance, and market insights) are effectively disseminated across the DP organisation, including the business interface organisation
• Supports the objective of no compromise on safe and compliant operations.
• Provide specialist Procurement and category guidance and advice to business stakeholders
• Provide specialist Procurement and category guidance and coaching to members of the DP team
Category Strategy & Implementation Support
• Lead the development of category strategies for larger scale and or complex categories (per Dimensions)
• Support CM to ensure a deep expertise within the category area, by accessing Market Intelligence and external knowledge to ensure the category strategy is informed by an intimate knowledge of the supply market, key dynamics and latest thinking within the field and drive this focus across assigned category scope.
• Manage inputs to the development of category and sourcing strategies i.e. supply market analysis, cost modelling and benchmarking
• Working with the global category network, supports the development of new and innovative global sources of supply, and working with the business interface organisation, helps to build understanding and support for new sources of supply in the business
• Support Category Manager by managing category strategy implementation activities including localisation of category strategies and contract management, and drive implementation across assigned activity scope.
• Ensure timeliness and quality of all contracts required for safe, compliant and reliable business operations i.e. implementation in the appropriate systems, category compliance, contract management and requisitioners training
• Lead local contract management, performance reporting and the monitoring and management of escaped spend (Sales, Marketing and Supply). based on agreed OMS( operating management system) and supplier segmentation strategies.
• Ensure compliance to BP policies such as risk management, delegation of authority (DOA) and DP functional guidelines.
• Accountable for value delivery tracking from the category strategy implementation.
• Responsible for the Value Delivery in the assigned category and regional scope
• Responsible for the development and delivery of annual plans for category and scope.
• Working with the business interface organization, routinely communicates with integrity across key business stakeholders to align the strategic intent of the category strategy and the regional/local business needs.
Sourcing and Supplier Management
• Support or deliver local and regional contract negotiation and execution (depending on the category strategy)
• Support or deliver local and regional supplier management activities (depending on the category strategy)
• Execute sourcing (high-medium complexity categories) and oversee sourcing execution by GBS (low-medium complexity categories)
• Support business in contract holder roles, gather performance feedback (and variation requests) for input to supplier performance review
• Provide or support local contract management for defined contracts requiring active management, performance reporting and the monitoring and management of compliance (from supplier segmentation strategies). Ensure the ownership of category contracts and the role of category or hub teams, in undertaking contract management, is defined.
University degree in a technical or related equivalent business discipline.
MCIPS/ISM qualification, or at stage of pre-qualification, desirable.
Essential experience and job requirements
Skilled application in category strategy development and execution
Skilled application in sourcing, contracting and contract management
Skilled application in supplier management
Experience in Ariba e-sourcing or other e-procurement tools is desirable.
Knowledge of P2P processes, and SAP system
Demonstrable extensive experience in the relevant category
Skilled application in Commercial negotiation.
Skilled application in Influencing and stakeholder management.
Skilled application in Organisational and project management, in particular with virtual teams.
Skilled application in Financial and market analysis skills.
Proficiency in English language
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of over 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future
BP has been operating in China since the early 1970s. With a total investment of US$4.7 billion at the end of 2009, BP is one of the leading foreign investors in China. BP’s business activities include offshore gas production, chemical joint ventures, aviation fuel supply, LPG import and marketing, oil product and lubricant retailing, solar power installations and manufacturing, and the sales of chemicals technology.
In addition to these commercial projects, BP has been actively engaged in energy research activities, particularly clean energy and alternative energy R&D initiatives, aiming to develop clean, sustainable and local energy solutions to support the Chinese economic development. The projects we are involved in include
- Clean Energy Facing the Future – a 10-Year R&D initiative in partnership with Chinese Academy of Science
- Clean Energy Commercialization Centre, a research joint venture in Partnership with Chinese Academy of Science
- BP- Tsinghua Clean Energy Research and Education Centre
- BP-Sun Yat-Sen University Center for LNG Education, Training and Research
In parallel, BP has been working to invest in the community to help address the local issues. By the end of 2009, BP’s total community investment in China exceeded US$12 million and BP’s community practices have been recognized by “2007 Multinational Corporation with Utmost Core Competitiveness in China” Award jointly issued by UNEP and China International Institute of Multinational Corporations, and also “China’s Best Corporate Citizenship Award” by 21st Century Business Herald and 21st Century Business Review for 5 consecutive years since 2004.
[ "06-Aug-2017" ]
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login