MasterReq ID 80109BR Job category SHIPPING Countries (State/Region) Flexible Location Singapore - Flexible - Singapore Apply now
As the head of the Shipboard Management team, the Master has overall authority onboard for the
safe management of the vessel acting as the BP Shipping Representative, and where appropriate,
the Charterer’s Representative. The Master has the authority to take any action required to ensure
the safety of the vessel, anyone onboard and protecting the marine environment as regulated
through current local, National Flag State and International health, safety, security, and environmental
regulations. The Master is to ensure full compliance with BP Shipping policies and procedures and
reports ultimately to the Engineering and Marine Superintendent.
- The following is a list of the key responsibilities which a Master would be expected to undertake with BP Maritime Services.
- To be responsible for the safe and efficient navigation of the vessel, including when a pilot is onboard.
- To ensure that the vessel is loaded at all times in accordance with BPS Under Keel Clearance policy, relevant regulations and that stability and stresses are within allowable limits.
- To be responsible for safely delivering customer requirements by complying with the terms and conditions of the Charter Party and any additional instructions received from the Company.
- Ensure the vessel is always in compliance with legal and commercial obligations, conforming to all BP Shipping policies, including safety and environmental-protection requirements.
- Implement requirements of the BP Shipping Fleet Operating Management System.
- To be responsible for the welfare, training, appraisal and discipline on board BP Shipping vessels.
- To assume command during all emergency situations onboard and seek all necessary support.
- Manage health related issues as per company guidelines
- To provide motivation and safety leadership to create an effective, co-operative and inclusive safety culture onboard.
- Ensure control is maintained over work on board through the effective management of the Control of Work system and procedures, including work planning, permit to work, job hazard/risk assessment, management of change and hours of work and rest regulations.
- Mentor officers and crew, taking an interest in their development to help identify and meet necessary training needs.
- Must be available to assist with personal problems and take a personal interest when dealing with others who may be affected by their actions.
- Comply with company/Charter party/international requirements for reporting all emergencies.
- To chair Shipboard Management and Safety Committee meetings.
- Ensure the vessel has a good cosmetic appearance following the Fabric maintenance procedure.
- Maintain a very high degree of hygiene and cleanliness standards onboard.
- Be responsible for maintaining the vessel’s accounts accurately, according to the instructions issued by the manning Office.
- Contribute to the budget planning cycle and support management of the ships budget through effective planning and efficient use of spares and stores.
- Ensure the vessel is adequately bunkered and provisioned at all times.
- The Master on BP Shipping vessels is the Ship Security Officer and is responsible for carrying out their ISPS duties in accordance with the vessel ship security plan.
- Master Unrestricted Certificate of Competency from a designated Maritime Authority;
- Specialized Oil/ Chemical or Gas Training in conjunction with tanker endorsement where applicable.
Essential experience and job requirements
- A thorough knowledge of safety and emergency systems and equipment on ships
- A high level of verbal and written communication skills in English;
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
This is for the BPMS European fleet, and hence one needs to be domicile in UK, Ireland or Poland in order to be hired
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- 36 months sea-time in rank as Master Mariner.
- Experience on membrane-type LNG tankers
- STCW 2010 Training completed
Yes - up to 100%
Is this a part time position?
BP Maritime Services Singapore (BPMSS) was established in 2007 with the purpose of developing the best talent in the shipping industry and deploying them where the BP Group needs them – principally on BP Shipping’s owned and operated international tanker fleet. Headquartered in Singapore and with partnerships in India and the Isle of Man, BPMSS employs over 1200 officers who run operations globally on board BP vessels as well as serve as subject matter experts for marine-related issues across the BP Group.
BPMSS strives for excellence through providing best-in-class training that is driven by an established Performance and Development team. This holistic system is underpinned by a comprehensive competency assurance framework as well as defined performance criteria set by INTERTANKO and SIGTTO. The combination of open feedback and continuous developmental support aims to unlock our officers' full potential and build a solid talent pipeline. This process serves in creating opportunities for career progression, both at sea and ashore, and ensures BP has its own supply of future Marine capability.
Corporate & Functions
[ "07-Sep-2017" ]
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login