Competitive Intelligence AdvisorReq ID 94086BR Job category Commercial Countries (State/Region) South East Location United Kingdom - South East - London Apply now
Competitive Intelligence (CI) is part of the Strategic Planning team.
The Competitive Intelligence team deliver business support and partnering across BP group through provision of insight and analysis relating to competitive performance, portfolio and strategy.
The Competitive Intelligence Advisor is a key role within CI having responsibility across a diverse range of analytical projects, production of CI reports and managing senior relationships across the BP group.
The role reports into the VP – Competitive Intelligence.
BP is a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are proud of our fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy which allow our employees to reach their full potential.
The role will be involved in all aspects of the CI team’s activity, including:
- Producing a quarterly summary of performance, strategy and portfolio developments;
- Providing competitive analysis in support of the development and execution of BP’s strategy, including analysis of companies and business models;
- Analysing potential business models and competitors in support of BP’s transformation and new business agend(s). This will include building relationships and working closely with, amongst others, the Downstream Taskforce, Low Carbon Power taskforce and the Upstream modernisation and transformation project;
- Very strong communication skills across all levels of the BP organisation. In particular, confidence in presenting analysis to the Group and Segment leadership teams;
- Strive to continuously improve the analytical capability and quality of output from the CI team.
- Identify and execute insightful analysis, synthesising a diverse range of sources and objectively forming and testing hypotheses based on an interpretation of the data;
- Produce excellent written reports and presentations. Distilling the interpretation of highly complex data into a simple and well-structured report or verbal presentation that tells a compelling story, whilst remaining faithful to the objective limitations of the data.
- Undertake detailed understanding of financial statements. Interpreting financial statements and accounts (as externally reported);
- Build strong and enduring working relationships across the stakeholder community;
- Taking responsibility for data accuracy and for the quality of insights that will be communicated to the senior executive teams.
- Use experience, skills and knowledge to enable coaching and guidance to segment customers when identifying scope, focus and use of competitive analysis
Degree level or equivalent in Economics, Accounting, Engineering or similar.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Significant experience in roles that involve financial analysis of company performance;
- Able to build and collaborate effectively with a wide internal network, across segment and senior leadership;
- Strong numeracy skills, being fluent in excel and data manipulation;
- Familiarity with external company disclosures to investors for this peer group is a preferred skill;
- Very strong presentation skills – both prepared work and delivery of the material to senior leadership teams;
- High level of self-sufficiency and experience of meeting tight deadlines for senior management.
- Teamwork - advancing the brand and reputation of the team output, rather than that of the individual, and to fully collaborate with and support other team members in that spirit;
- Attention to detail – checking for errors, understanding differences in disclosure and definitions, version control;
- Highly self-motivated.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Strong Oil and Gas industry knowledge preferred
- CFA preferred
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Strategy and Portfolio team is part of the Group Chief of Staff office. The Strategy team's focus is on the structure, contribution and composition of BP's portfolio within an 18 month to 10 year time frame, primarily focused on the oil and gas business through the full value chain.
Corporate & Functions
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login
- Digital Solutions Lead, Mobility South East London, England 08/11/2018