Core StrategistUnited Kingdom - South East - London
The Data Analytics team within the BP Supply & Trading, Trading Analytics organization comprises Quantitative Analytics, Data Strategists, Market Intelligence and Core Strategists. Linked by the common themes of data, numerical algorithms and technology, the team seeks to add value to the business by providing new models, tradable insights, distinctive data sets and agile technology solutions that empower the analyst community and advantage the commercial teams.
The Core Strategist team provides direct technology support to analysts, worldwide. Located in each of BP’s main trading locations, these individuals possess expert IT knowledge and strong technical skills, combining deep programming know-how with practical experience of analytics, for example data science methods, statistics, numerical algorithms, derivative pricing or optimization. Tasked with providing prompt, practicable technology solutions to analysts day-to-day, they also partner with the central IT organization for strategic deliveries, including modern data repositories, data ontologies, new analytical toolkits, visualization technologies and cloud compute.
An opportunity for a Core Strategist, is now available in our Canary Wharf office. Working under the guidance of a senior strategist, you will design and build solutions to challenging business problems in a highly dynamic commercial environment.
- As part of a highly technical global team you will build direct relationships with key analysts and commerical stakeholders, understand their business requirements and immediate goals.
- Well networked within both the Core Strategist team and the central IT organization you will play a key role in advancing the analyst technology agenda in your region.
- Be held by the business as a technical authority and source of expert guidance to the analyst community. Provide day-to-day problem solving support and proactively share best practice.
- Create efficient, resilient and innovative solutions using modern data analytics technologies that enable analysts, inform decision making and drive revenue generation.
- Partner with analysts to develop custom interactive dasboard visualization solutions using web technolgies and third-party frameworks.
- Develop scalable, reusable components and frameworks in-line with mandated architectures. Rigorously adhere to software development best practice for enterprise-grade applications.
- Contribute to the shared proprietary model libraries for use by analysts globaly.
- Act as a Trading Analytics Product Owner for strategic projects undertaken by the centralized IT teams in service of Trading Analytics.
Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline, (eg physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or mathematical finance), plus a postgraduate degree in a STEM subject. Strong academic record.
Essential experience and job requirements:
You will have practical experience and knowledge of:
- Python programming, including knowledge of pandas, numpy, Jupyter, flask. Ability to write production ready, highly reliable, tuned (pythonic) numerical code.
- Practical experience building web applications and web services.
- UI development, with a strong emphasis on data visualization. Knowledge of charting frameworks including Plotly, matplotlib and bokeh.
- Object oriented programming in a second language, for example Java, C++, C# or.NET.
- Software development industry best practice, including unit, integration and regression testing. Build and deploy patterns.
- Source code control systems, preferably Git.
- Strong analytical, reasoning and mathematical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, personal gravitas and the ability to build a rapport with a team of analysts across disciplines, geographies and commodity-lines.
- Proven track record of solving hard problems through the innovative application of technology in compressed timeframes.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
- Industry experience of large-scale data analysis and predictive modeling, preferably in a front office role in an investment bank, hedge fund or energy major.
- Knowledge of scientific python stack SciPy, scikit-learn, etc.
- Practical experience of the Big Data stack, including hdfs, spark, scala, kudu, hbase, SQL, impala, as well as RDBMs.
- Experience with Jenkins.
- Quantitative skills, for example knowledge of statistics, probability theory, optimization or derivative pricing.
- Data science knowledge. To include econometrics, OLS and Lasso, Logistic Regression, CART and Random Forests, SVMs, NNs, Radial Basis Functions and Kernel methods. Regularization and validation.
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP's face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST's role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST Global Oil Europe (GOE), a Business Unit of IST Global Oil, serves three primary purposes. First and foremost, it provides a trading and execution service to BP's assets in Europe and Africa. This includes assisting equity marketing, crude supply, product import/export, and price risk management. Secondly, Global Oil Europe seeks to make use of its skills, global connectivity and market insight to generate entrepreneurial trading income. Thirdly, Global Oil Europe is accountable for ensuring a robust compliance and trading infrastructure, including systems and controls.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.