Group Corporate CounselUnited Kingdom - South East - London
Group Corporate Counsel will provide high quality, strategic legal advice to a diverse client group, based in BP’s corporate headquarters in St James’s Square.
Group Corporate Legal provides legal advice and support to the BP Group on all aspects of group level corporate reporting and disclosure. This includes the BP Annual Report and Form 20F, quarterly financial results reports, strategic updates, stock exchange announcements and press releases and various other reports and disclosures that have a BP Group perspective. In addition, Group Corporate Legal has a key role in the identification and disclosure of price sensitive information and advising on dealings in BP securities, ensuring continuing engagement of key stakeholders in senior management.
Group Corporate Legal reviews external presentations, corporate communications and internal communications that may have a BP group impact or are otherwise significant to the BP group. There are also many and varied ad hoc questions on the Companies Act or other regulatory requirements that apply to BP p.l.c or the BP Group generally.
The successful candidate will be involved in all of the aspects of Group Corporate Legal’s work outlined above, providing guidance and direction regarding the management and mitigation of legal risks in these areas. In particular this will involve reviewing the internal and external corporate reporting documents for compliance with the applicable regulatory regimes, communicating the requirements internally and advising our clients on the appropriate approach to take to meet these requirements. This may include getting input from business facing lawyers and lawyers in specialist areas, taking external legal advice where required.
The lawyer taking this role will obtain insight and experience into how BP operates at the highest levels, including its strategy and performance, and will build a detailed understanding of the BP Group as a whole.
The successful candidate will need to have strong collaboration, networking and influencing skills in order to get timely input from other lawyers within BP Legal where required and to distil this into appropriate advice for the clients. He or she will have to be comfortable with working under tight deadlines and with people at all levels of seniority, with a discipline of thoroughness. Attention to detail in drafting and legal analysis is essential in this role.
1. Providing strategic, commercially-focused and measured advice at the BP corporate centre in a fast-paced, often demanding and high profile environment, across a broad practice and diverse client base.
2. Review of corporate reporting documentation and analysis of situations arising for compliance with relevant regulations and advising clients on the practical but legally compliant solutions.
3. Networking within BP, and in particular within BP Legal, for specialist input into corporate reporting documentation, with the business facing lawyers, dispute resolution lawyers, HSSE lawyers and trade sanctions lawyers.
4. Drafting sections of corporate reporting documentation for which Group Corporate Legal is responsible.
5. Reviewing stock exchange announcements and other press releases.
6. Reviewing group communications and other materials, with a particular focus on the potential impact on BP at a group level from a legal and reputational perspective.
7. Advising on issues relating to the Market Abuse Regulation, in particular issues involving inside information, and presenting training programmes to teams within BP to whom it may be relevant.
8. Evaluating the impact of changes in corporate reporting laws and regulations and developing recommended positions in response to such changes and the strategic approach to take in relevant consultation processes.
Undergraduate degree with appropriate legal qualification in the UK.
Essential experience and job requirements:
Valid UK practicing certificate.
As well as having proven technical ability the person in this role must be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to work with clients to identify, assess, prioritise and manage complex legal issues having significant implications for the BP Group. Develop alternatives and proposals clearly defining and mitigating risk. Provide robust strategic and commercially practical advice and demonstrate good judgement.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, both written and spoken, including the ability to effectively influence others and positively manage conflicts.
- Ability to network with BP staff and management at senior levels.
- Ability to monitor legal developments and changes in law/practice in relation to corporate reporting.
- Ability to manage competing priorities with tight deadlines.
- BP’s values, particularly the courage to speak up.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
Some experience of corporate reporting would be useful but not essential. More importantly, candidates should have the drive to undertake new challenges, be involved in high profile work and significantly increase their profile within BP.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future.
The purpose of the Legal function is to provide legal services to the Group in order to further the maximisation of business opportunities and value and the minimisation of business risks and liabilities.
BP Legal lawyers and support staff work closely with their colleagues in the Businesses, Regions and Functions to deliver exceptional results in transactions, disputes and issues management.
Building on its existing strength, BP Legal has developed its strategic priorities, in line with the Group Strategy, to achieve its vision and address present and foreseeable challenges.