Team Leader Marine EngineeringReq ID 96053BR Job category SHIPPING Countries (State/Region) South East Location United Kingdom - South East - Sunbury Apply now
The purpose of this role is to provide leadership for a team of marine engineering professionals to provide subject matter expertise / support to both BP Shipping teams and BP group. The key focus areas will be providing technical assurance and developing strategy for performance, operation and maintenance of both 2 & 4 stroke engines and management of fuel systems.
The role holder will manage the marine engineering graduate programme to enable the talent pipeline development. They need to maintain capability within the team to support BPS and BP businesses for HAZOP, LOPA and pHSSEr.
The role holder needs to engage actively with all key stakeholders in fleet operations, commercial, DS&OR Shipping and wider BP business to enable strong delivery through collaborative working.
- Provide leadership and manage the team activities to provide SME support to fleet operations, wider BP teams and BP group.
- Provide 2 Stroke on demand support and oversee the delivery of 4 stroke sea going maintenance team expertise to fleet.
- Provide expertise and input to management of fuel system on board vessels and other teams in BP.
- Develop strategy and manage execution of machinery maintenance intervals using condition based techniques and enable continuous improvement of maintenance management system.
- Develop and manage the operated fleet central projects and contracts as agreed with Operations.
- Provide input to the vessel performance engineer to focus on marine engineering operations performance and optimisation. Support in assessing new technologies or processes for improving efficiency.
- Accountable for managing the marine engineer graduate programme and development of graduates.
- Develop and maintain BPS OMS procedures relevant to the discipline and team activities. Manage the marine engineering discipline of the Technical Knowledge Database (TKD)
- Develop and maintain team capability to support BPS teams and BPS partners in risk tools such as HAZOP, LOPA and pHSSEr.
- Represent BP Shipping in industry bodies, professional bodies and BP’s internal engineering bodies as per the approved representation list. Share best practices through community of practise to increase engagement, connectivity and capability.
- Engineering Class 1 Motor/Steam or Combined Certificate of Competency or equivalent Degree and/or professional qualification
Essential experience and job requirements
- Experienced in vessel operations as a senior sea going Engineer or in similar operational roles.
- Significant experience of providing engineering and technical support for main and auxiliary machinery and fuel systems on a vessel.
- Membership of professional body e.g. IMarEST
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Chartered Engineer
- Sea going experience in the rank of Chief Engineer onboard tanker vessels
- Experienced in BP OMS and risk management tools.
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
BP Shipping Ltd is part of the BP Group (BP plc) and its core activity is to provide the safe and environmentally responsible transportation of BP's hydrocarbons around the world. BP Shipping has a fleet of operated vessels, and also time-charters and spot-charters ships on behalf of the BP Group. A second activity for BP Shipping is to serve as a 'Centre of Shipping and Marine Expertise for the BP Group,' providing assurance in vessel design, procurement, operations, chartering in and out, and ship and marine terminal vetting and port clearance.
Corporate & Functions
View this location
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login