Control Systems SpecialistUnited States - Ohio - Toledo
Job profile summary:
The Control Systems Specialist is part of the Process Computing Team and is primarily responsible for the reliability and availability of the distributed control system (DCS), safety system infrastructure (SIS) and auxiliary systems. The Control Systems Specialist is a source of control system expertise and troubleshooting and is also responsible for working with project teams on all modifications of the control system. The Control Systems Specialist is also a key stakeholder in modernization projects for the control system infrastructure.
Essential Functions / Key Accountabilities
- Direct the repair and upgrade of DCS hardware and associated systems pertaining to process control
- Work with vendor and local team to support DCS software, including patching
- Manage and track spare part and online inventory of control system hardware
- Maintain and update DCS training system to remain current with production system
- Read and interpret programs, technical drawings, schematics and computer generated reports related to control system infrastructure
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to receive and provide technical information
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation. Make recommendations to eliminate failures. Participate in 5-Why and other Root Cause Failure Analysis methods
- Work closely with vendors, suppliers, consultants and service technicians to ensure quality and timely delivery of work involving control system components without sacrificing system reliability/availability
- Ensure control system security, stability and reliability is not compromised
- Support scheduled and break-in maintenance of DCS and SIS equipment along with oversight of the associated inspection/testing programs
- Provide technical expertise to projects and site personnel
- Troubleshoot system issues as part of a team on a 24/7 basis
- Support change implementation, obsolescence management, migration, troubleshooting, and documentation of Honeywell DCS, Honeywell FSC, Schneider Electric Triconex, Modicon PLC’s, and various wireless, digital, and networked I/O systems
One of the Following:
- High School Diploma or GED with 8 years of experience working in a control system support-related position in an industrial environment
- ASEET in Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) with 5 years of experience working in a control system support-related position in an industrial environment
Preferred: BS in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology (EET)
Required: 5 years of experience working in a control system support-related position in an industrial environment
Preferred: 10 or more years of experience supporting control systems in the refining or petrochemical industry or in a manufacturing environment. Experience with process control systems such as Honeywell TPS/Experion, Modicon PLC’s, etc. Experience maintaining safety systems such as Honeywell FSC and Schneider Electric Triconex.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with Honeywell TDC 3000 and Experion PKS control systems from software to hardware
- Familiarity supporting Honeywell FSC and Schneider Electric Triconex safety system hardware
- Ability to support and troubleshoot PLC systems, HMIs and control firewalls
- Basic understanding of network hardware devices including switches, routers, firewalls and cabling
- Basic understanding of communication protocols such as TCP/IP, Modbus, Fieldbus, OPC and WirelessHART
- Ability to troubleshoot basic PC and server hardware issues
- Ability to configure and utilize Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Strong organization, documentation and communication skills
Certifications / Licenses
Preferred: ISA Certified Control Systems Technician (CCST)
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.