HR ManagerReq ID 93972BR Job category Human Resources Countries (State/Region) Ohio Location United States - Ohio - Toledo Apply now
The primary purpose of the HR Manager is to define and lead delivery of the people plan that enables the business to achieve its goals.
The role holder operates as a member of a business leadership team acting as a strategic business partner providing business driven insights to support decision making and determine appropriate global / business wide interventions. They also act as coach to that team, and a champion for team effectiveness, values & behaviours and leadership expectations. They are responsible for supporting effective management of people within the business through coaching of business leaders and delivery of a fit for purpose HR service. Along with People Advisors, they work closely in partnership with HR Services and CoE specialists.
By monitoring external trends and having a strong commercial business understanding, the HR Business Partner acts as a positive disruptor, identifying opportunities to create and sustain high performance at the business level.
The role holder takes a lead on organisation efficiency, modernisation and transformation in their business and acts as a catalyst for change within their business and the HR function. Those with formal leadership accountability will take an active role in coaching and developing their own team. All will take responsibility for building HR capability across the function and creating a pipeline of future HR leaders.
At this level, the role holder will be coaching senior leadership teams.
STRATEGY & PLANNING
In partnership with the business, define the HR strategy:
- Monitor external trends and best practice and provide positive disruption
- Define the objectives, operating model and plans required to support business growth, performance, engagement and leadership strength
Deliver reliable, compliant and secure HR operations in support of the business
- Monitor external legal context/internal ‘weak signals’ to resolve/pre-empt ER/IR issues
- Coach People Advisors in managing complex ER cases and manage sensitive or senior cases
- Manage change programmes to ensure successful implementation of business strategy
- Ensure plans are in place to positively impact employee morale and engagement
- Partner to ensure managers are capable of leading high performing and engaged teams
- Provide HR leadership in crisis & continuity management activity
Provide analytics, insights and recommendations to enable robust decisions
- Base people plan on analysis of data and deep understanding of the business and external trends.
- Proactively share insights, risks and opportunities
- Provide business facing HR consultation and advice to senior leadership
RIGHT PEOPLE, RIGHT PLACE, RIGHT TIME
Create and sustain an effective organisation to support delivery of business strategy
- Drive strategic workforce shaping and planning
- Drive and deliver improvements to organisational effectiveness, design and change management via consultancy and interventions, respecting the controlled organisation and business goals
Attract, select and retain the right people
- Partner with Talent Acquisition to project manage demand. Provide context for critical hiring requirements and review talent acquisition progress against plan
- Agree compensation offers and advise leaders in decisions about employee mobility, ensuring that proposals meet business priorities and are commercially sound
Set the strategic talent plan for the business, aligned to business strategy and taking into account the external environment
- Develop and deploy long term integrated talent management strategy
- Lead strategic talent management activity for the business. Ensure regular talent discussions and decision making are occurring in support of business priorities and objectives
- Lead formal talent review to a high standard, engaging HR team and leaders
- Ensure individual and organisational actions arising from talent review are completed, integrated into overall business people plan, and monitored for impact on org effectiveness
ENVIRONMENTS WHERE PEOPLE & PERFORMANCE THRIVE
Enable all our people to build the capabilities our business values now and into the future
- Identify learning priorities and work with Talent & Learning CoE to develop appropriate plans
- Ensure the business is taking advantage of learning and development resources available in the various Academies
- Lead on any team development activities with support from CoE specialists
- Direct People Advisors in delivery of local LM development interventions, utilising BP University recommended approach
Enable a compliant and high-performance culture through aligned Performance Management, Reward and Recognition frameworks
- Partner with Reward CoE to deliver integrated reward/recognition solutions to the business
- Agree individual reward/retention initiatives
- (If appropriate) Lead/oversee union pay review negotiations, working with ER/IR
Drive engagement with our people from their very first interaction with BP
- Ensure an inclusive and diverse workplace which reflects the communities in which we operate
- Coach leaders to maintain and promote an environment of respect and dignity, acting as role models for diversity and inclusion
- Ensure that D&I is a foundation of the business people plan, and is integrated into all people management activity
- Know the people in the business area and ensure deep awareness of the ‘pulse’ of the organisation
Degree qualified or equivalent experience/education
Essential experience and job requirements
- Breadth and depth of experience and technical capability enabling sound judgment and decision making
- Strong foundation of technical capability and experience in strategic talent management, employee relations, change management, and organisational development and effectiveness, including coaching, organisation design, facilitation, and team development
- Track record of effective strategic partnering and executive level coaching
- Analytical thinking – competent using predictive analytics to identify outcomes and improve decision making; e.g. ER strategies, targeted retention, succession planning & strategic workforce shaping
- Digital fluency - not only comfortable and competent using technology to enable and enhance ways of working and thinking, also comfortable in the wider digital environment and the interface with business transformation including people, processes and data driven actions.
- Demonstrates ability to apply business acumen and clearly link value to business results at the client group level, e.g. improved decision making, D&I
- Customer focus – Puts the customer and business strategy at the heart of decision making. Ability to guide leaders through choices to best suit business requirements
- Drives value-adding solutions - deeply integrated to drive business solutions, not operating as a parallel function. Proven track record of improving/adding value and taking things to the next level
- Externally orientated – well connected, active in external professional communities, aware of best practice and actively shares with, and learns from others
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Leadership & EQ Capability
- Demonstrates capability in line with HR Capability Framework with an equal balance of EQ, IQ and Drive
- Group mind-set - demonstrates an understanding of the value of, and ability to develop, high quality, trust-based relationships with HR colleagues & with the wider organisation - leaders & employees
- Is self-aware and recognises and can manage impact on others
- Notices morale of their team and works to positively influence this
- Is developing political astuteness and is and able to work successfully across organisational boundaries
- Applies judgement and common sense at scale - demonstrates strong understanding of client's business and Segment/HR Function priorities and is able to apply sound judgement / wise counsel
- Acts with integrity; actively developing capability against the BP LEs & is a role model of BP V&Bs
- Ability to develop and inspire others and engender followership
- Cultural fluency - ability to operate successfully across cultural boundaries with sensitivity
- Knowledge of BP HR policies and procedures
- Experience of organisation change management
- Experience of working in a matrixed organisation
- HR qualification/accreditation
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login
- Turnaround Engineering Lead Toledo, Ohio 11/10/2018
- Environmental, Health & Safety Internal Audit Coordinator Toledo, Ohio 07/12/2018
- Sr. Category Specialist, Maintenance Services Chicago, Illinois, Whiting, Indiana, Toledo, Ohio, Wando, South Carolina, Texas City, Texas, Blaine, Washington, 12/01/2019