Turnaround Engineering LeadReq ID 93769BR Job category Engineering Countries (State/Region) Ohio Location United States - Ohio - Toledo Apply now
BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Turnaround Engineering Lead (TEL) plays a vital role in the maintenance & reliability initiatives of Toledo Refinery. As part of the Maintenance team, the TEL identifies and designs improvement ideas, and provides mechanical technical support to the refinery as needed. The TEL plays a key role in improving Operations and Reliability performance and is expected to identify, design, implement, and troubleshoot improvement ideas and manage assigned projects. This job description is intended to provide an overview of the position and does not include all the tasks that might be required to provide support for your area job requirements.
- Requires familiarity of and compliance with various practices, codes, standards, EPA and OSHA regulations.
- Requires close networking with Operations, Inspection, Maintenance-Reliability, Process Engineering and Capital Projects to recognize and evaluate improvement initiatives, provide input, and drive decision making with stakeholders.
- Performs technical and economic analysis to justify improvements, quantify benefits, and recommend priorities.
- Provides mechanical technical support to turnaround stakeholders during scope development and execution. This may include assisting Planning and Execution personnel in defining work scope or working with Reliability and Inspection on root cause failure analysis.
- Manages assigned projects, including achievement of objectives in the areas of HSSE, quality, schedule and cost.
- Understands and is compliant with all Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies and procedures.
- Designs, procures, resources and executes assigned projects utilizing and directing consultants and other technical teams in a cost-effective manner. Leads technical team in the preparation of detailed scopes of work and job packages.
- Develops technical scopes of work, material takeoffs, and bid documents to sharpen turnaround scope definition.
- Works closely with Planning and Scheduling to ensure projects are fully planned and scheduled based on accurate priorities. Provides input to Planning on resource requirements, including the need for special skills. Ensures Planning and Scheduling are fully informed of changes with the plan or schedule.
- Fully documents in a timely manner any changes resulting from assigned improvement projects, including drawing updates, equipment updates, parts lists, procedural changes and repair histories. Ensures timely training of appropriate area personnel regarding assigned projects.
- Leads process safety reviews of projects to ensure they are installed in a safe manner consistent with process unit requirements, loss control guidelines, regulatory requirements, industry codes and company practices. Responsible for following the Management of Change (MOC) procedure for all assigned mechanical changes and projects. Participates in HAZOP evaluations.
- Provides technical leadership and guidance in the scope completions process at the close of turnaround execution.
- Conducts post-implementation audits, documents results, and contributes lessons learned in the evaluation of turnaround and project performance.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Essential experience and job requirements
Required: Minimum 7 years of relevant experience
For information regarding competency needs for this profile, please search for this job profile in our Refinery Competency Assurance Tool (RCAT):
- Has knowledge and demonstrated project management skills.
- Has familiarity with industry design and construction codes, standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Is competent in reading technical drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, troubleshoot & problem solve to drive at root cause(s) of problems.
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process.
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted.
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC’s, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis.
- Identify and assess safety hazards.
- Has specific skills and knowledge of a broad range of refinery equipment, associated maintenance practices and test methods.
- Skilled in conducting an incident investigation and can perform root cause failure analysis.
- Understands the OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM) regulation and is specifically familiar with and can conduct Management of Change (MOC), Process Safety reviews (PSR’s), and Hazardous Operations (HAZOP) elements
- Computer Programs—Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Preferred: 10 years of downstream refining experience and knowledge relevant to API storage tank repair and construction
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login
- Environmental, Health & Safety Internal Audit Coordinator Toledo, Ohio 07/12/2018
- Sr. Category Specialist, Maintenance Services Chicago, Illinois, Whiting, Indiana, Toledo, Ohio, Wando, South Carolina, Texas City, Texas, Blaine, Washington, 12/01/2019
- Reliability Coordinator Toledo, Ohio 03/01/2019