IT Service OwnerUnited Kingdom - South East - Sunbury
Job profile summary:
BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effective and new business models. You are an IT Service Owner, accountable for building and running an IT Service. You will own a set of IT products that help BP solve problems, deliver value and operate safely and responsibly.
Your mission is to be the IT provider of choice to your area of BP - delivering innovation at speed where it's wanted, and day-in-day-out reliability where it's needed. You will operate in a dynamic and commercially-focussed environment, with the resources of one of the world's largest IT departments, and some of the world's leading IT vendors at your fingertips. You will grow and strengthen our technical talent base - bringing experts together to solve BP's problems.
At IT&S, all the roles are within Chapters. While your role will continue to remain within the Chapter, your initial activities described below may change over time. The chapter will be based on your skill set and will be confirmed if you are the successful candidate.
- Your work will involve agile delivery squads focused on automation, portal and mobility services.
- This role will interact directly with our customers, development teams, business product owners and 3rd party vendors.
- If you have experience in aviation systems and can adapt and deliver solutions meeting the demand in the marketplace, come join our team.
Team: You are a high-performing technical individual who supports the individuals working in our cross-functional squads. Developing the capabilities of the service you are responsible for to deliver the most agile and commercially cost-effective solutions is one of your top priorities. We expect every leader at BP to demonstrate leadership through delegation, motivation and trust. Our people embrace the growth mindset and culture. We lead and solve problems through our Explore, Think, Do approach.
Relationships: You’ll partner with key stakeholders from across the business to help define what the product roadmap is and how your teams will help deliver it. The role requires thought leadership and the ability to influence and inspire change in a positive and impactful way. As well as having accountability for your own service, you will sit on several governance boards to drive other products in service of the wider IT agenda.
Investment and Delivery: You will seek investment to grow, renew and optimize your Service. This means pitching for seed funding to deliver proofs of concept at pace. When investment is secured, you will design a capability to make the change. We typically use DevOps teams - you build it, you run it. When a product from another service affects your service, you will be part of the governance structure for it.
Technology: The architecture function will partner with you to agree the most suitable technology and operating model choices. Service Owners drive re-use of technology, choosing BP’s common platforms wherever possible and promoting business process consolidation. You will drive the automation of business and IT process in order to reduce costs.
Leading change: Service Owners also drive efficient and effective product lifecycle from inception through to retirement – crafting, agreeing and leading the service strategy. If demand for products is growing, then you must seek investment to support the demand. Where an opportunity is seen to change, eliminate or merge services, you’ll be expected to drive those changes, doing the right thing for BP.
Safety and Compliance: The safety of our people and customers is our No. 1 priority. You will champion and lead this, promoting a culture of security in everything we do.
- Ideally, you’ll have a Bachelor's (or higher) degree, preferably in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
- Equivalent work experience in a relevant role or roles.
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
You should have at least two of the following:
- Experience running an IT operations team or teams – responsible for delivering reliable and commercially efficient operations.
- Experience of an IT business interface role – balancing business demands with enterprise drivers and being the face of IT to the business.
- Experience of leading IT projects – securing investment, running governance, selecting solutions and vendors, planning, and running through to operations.
- You’ll have a real passion for technology and its power to drive business efficiency, value and innovation.
- You’ll have experience leading a team or teams with a focus on growing and developing talent and building an inclusive culture.
- You’ll have experience of managing vendors and relationships in both matrix and line management models, in a geographically diverse environment.
- You’ll understand the business or functional area of BP which the Service supports – its strategy, market, challenges and processes.
- You’ll understand the technologies in use in the Service: their strengths, weaknesses, lifecycle and competitors.
- You’ll have experience of the business processes used to manage a corporate IT department, such as financial planning and management, risk management, acquiring and retaining talent.
- You always empower people – encouraging positive team morale and ensuring that every team member with expertise has the power to make decisions, at the lowest possible level.
- You always get the basics right, from quality development conversations to recognition and ongoing performance feedback. You can develop, coach, mentor and inspire others.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and ensure your team does too. You also demonstrate strong leadership of BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- You create an environment where people listen and can speak openly about the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that everyone can understand and learn.
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, naturally looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, and building trust-based relationships with leaders and employees across IT&S and BP.
- You are self-aware and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- You apply judgment and common sense at scale – you use insight and good judgment to deliver commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- Cultural fluency – you operate across cultural boundaries with sensitivity.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
In IT&S we are committed to providing flexible working arrangements. Agile or flexible working encompasses a wide range of working options, which help people to achieve their full potential. It is more than ad-hoc home working or part time working; it’s about role modelling BP’s IT technology to get a job done, in a way that works well for both the business and our employees.
So even if a job is advertised as full time, please reach out to the hiring manager or the recruiter if you would like flexible working arrangements to be considered.