Maintenance and Reliability Engineering SuperintendentReq ID 90741BR Job category Operations Countries (State/Region) Indiana Location United States - Indiana - Whiting Apply now
The Area Maintenance and Reliability (M&R) Engineering Superintendent leads a team of engineers whose primary objectives are to provide engineering support for the Refinery Asset Teams and to increase the reliability of the plant. This includes daily input into the unit maintenance and operational decisions, preparation of engineering job notes for routine maintenance execution, identification and mitigation of potential unit risks, failure analysis, work prioritization, and TAR execution support. The Superintendent provides engineering oversight and direction and interfaces with the Asset Team to support urgent needs and ensure priorities remain in focus. The Superintendent is also part of the Asset Leadership Team.
- Responsible for safety of team and quality of engineering product.
- Accountable for the supervision, development, and performance management of the team, including succession planning. Ensures that the team approaches their work with a high degree of ownership for the success of the Asset Team they support.
- Ensure the roles and responsibilities of all members of their team are clearly established and that the engineers’ time is appropriately utilized.
- Liaison with Projects, TAR, REG and IEA groups.
- Communicate Whiting’s business goals in a powerful and engaging manner and act as a role model for the BP Leadership expectations.
- As a member of the M&R Superintendent Team drive step change improvement in the equipment performance, Maintenance and Reliability Division processes and contribute to the development and implementation of site-wide initiatives.
- Provide input to the refinery engineering demand plan and provide input into hiring recommendations.
- Maintain an engineering support plan outages and TARs
- Active member of Asset Leadership Team.
- Assure technical development and competency of direct reports through the use of the Learning Roadmap.
- Ensure day to day troubleshooting, technical support requirements, MOCs, and incident investigations are being addressed with proper resources and priorities as needed.
- Provide technical oversight of engineering of direct reports. Review job notes for technical accuracy and request SME review where applicable.
- Responsible for maintaining an equipment reliability focus. Including documenting problematic equipment and providing input into the maintenance, operations and turnaround strategies.
- Ensure area MOCs are reviewed and assign proper discipline engineering design review evaluations.
- Responsible for engineering review and support for IWR completion.
- Participate and provide technical oversight in Area Unit Health Monitoring meetings.
- Routinely review production loss (PLA) data and availability performance with Asset Team.
- Own RCM, FMEA, PM, Quality, Infrastructure, Critical Equipment Plans for the area.
- Work with peers and with Asset Teams to ensure consistent application and execution of work processes and standards, including STPs, ETPs, MOSP and external regulations.
- Participate in work order prioritization to ensure equipment risk management is adequate.
- Drive the Continuous Improvement Process within the team.
- Ensure RCAs are performed on qualifying production loss events and equipment bad actors, and that non-availability incident investigations include adequate discipline engineering representation.
- Manage asset life cycle plans, defect elimination, capital and expense replacement requests. This includes area defect elimination list and applicable S&OR Learning Alerts and HVLs.
- Own and provide input into Asset team and M&R team reliability metrics.
- Identify and understand critical equipment (i.e. production critical and safety critical) and develop appropriate life cycle plans and improvement plans.
- Support the Asset Team in the development and implementation of the Unit Strategy and Reliability Roadmap, including input into TAR strategies, project portfolios, defect elimination (DE) and major maintenance spend.
- BS Degree in Engineering or equivalent required
- PE desirable
Essential experience and job requirements
- 7-10+ years of refinery technical experience required
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience preferred
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Certifications - PE desirable
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login