Product Quality SpecialistReq ID 94404BR Job category Engineering Countries (State/Region) Indiana Location United States - Indiana - Whiting Apply now
The Product Quality Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of the Whiting Refinery Product Quality Continuous Improvement program. This involves development and execution of activities which mitigate product quality risks, improve organizational quality culture enabling refinery to achieve strategic objectives of being sustainably best refinery in the US.
The Product Quality Specialist reports directly to the Refinery Optimisation Manager who is a member of the Refinery Leadership Team.
Act as a visible leader of product quality initiatives across the site and communicate product quality objectives, performance vs. plan and actions to address gaps
This highly visible position provides a broad exposure to refinery operations, centralized technology group and the commercial team. It is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate and hone leadership skills.
The role will also develop communication strategies and other tactics designed to elevate the product quality consciousness of the refinery and to build a product quality culture consistent with Whiting’s aspiration to the be the premier refinery in North America.
- Responsible for developing and driving the product quality improvement agenda at Whiting focused primarily in the 0-5 year space.
- Serve as the owner of the Whiting Product Quality Management System. In this capacity the Product Quality Specialist will lead or facilitate product quality incident investigations and gap assessments and develop gap-closure actions to reduce identified risks.
- Act as Product Quality Subject Matter Expert on projects that reduces product quality risks and optimization initiatives that improves refinery gross margin
- Engage external resources such as other BP refinery, Refining Technology and Engineering (RTE), Global Fuels Technology (GFT) and industry experts in incident investigations and best practice sharing
- Mentor and coach new engineers and key Operations staff on the importance of product quality and the details of Whiting Product Quality Management system
- Owns and maintains the Whiting Refinery Product Quality Manual and product quality elements of the Whiting Local Operations Management System (LOMS)
- Facilitates/coordinates the Product Quality Steering Team meetings to ensure effective and efficient outcomes aligned with agreed priorities.
- Excellent time management skills and prioritization capabilities to deliver objectives at or ahead of agreed deadlines
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Chemical Engineering preferred
Essential experience and job requirements
- 5+ years of process engineering or equivalent preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills to drive action and accountability without direct line authority
- Strong initiative and able to work effectively independently and as a team to both identify opportunities for improvement but also track and ensure responsible parties deliver on commitments to close agreed product quality improvement actions
- Focus on performance delivery and results-oriented
- Good organization and data management skills ideally with prior training in RCA methodology
- Team player with ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external parties (eg. Global Fuels Technology, Air BP, Refining Technology)
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- 5+ years of refinery process engineering experience or equivalent
- Experience with gasoline/diesel blending in a refinery setting
- Knowledge of product quality assurance best practice work processes such as six sigma
- Adept at adapting communication style to meet a wide range of constituencies ranging from front line operations to senior leadership
- Project management or project development experience
- Strong leadership skills, with proven record of engaging peers and leadership across different functions
- Flexible and adaptable to be able to contribute to the broader production planning team and OMD operations team through backfill opportunities
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Register for job alerts
Upload your CV, receive job alerts and be seen by our recruiters. Returning candidates can also login here.Register or Login
- Process Engineer Whiting, Indiana 13/11/2018
- Expression of Interest: Process Engineer Whiting, Indiana, Toledo, Ohio, Wando, South Carolina, Texas City, Texas, Blaine, Washington, 31/10/2018
- Expression of Interest: Electrical Engineer Whiting, Indiana, Toledo, Ohio, Wando, South Carolina, Texas City, Texas, Blaine, Washington, 31/10/2018